Sunday, July 1, 2007

four miles walked

It turns out that the DC metro runs two hours later during the weekends than it does during the weekdays. Which is fine, unless you're trying to get to church early and don't know about this schedule delay. And you walk to your metro stop, see that it's closed, and think "Oh, I'll just keep going on Connecticut Ave, and either hit an open metro, or the church." Which is entirely true, and would have happened. If I had actually turned on Connecticut instead of staying on my faithful L street.
Oops.
So I got lost in a part of downtown DC that a young female probably shouldn't go getting lost in, even at 6:45 on a Sunday morning. And then I called my dad and got directions to Dupont Circle, which was nearby, has its own metro stop, and has Connecticut Ave on it. At the Dupont Circle metro stop I find out that the first train doesn't run until 7:30. It was 7:03 at the time, so I decided to keep walking. I ended up waiting fifteen minutes for the train at the next metro stop I got to, because by that point I could barely keep standing, and I needed to get to church in time for services.  
I left "home" at 6:20, and made it to church at about 8. It's normally a forty minute trip. Four miles I walked, not including the return trip, which adds on about a mile. Four miles. In heels. Very uncomfortable heels.
So I now have several beautiful new blisters and I'm going to sleep very solidly.

No comments: